Route Check and Advice

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

First Hike Glacier
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Route Check and Advice

Post by First Hike Glacier »

Hello all,

I have been backcountry backpacking a few times but this will be the first attempt at planning a route and am looking for some advice and a route check for feasibility. The current route sits at:Many Glacier - Elizabeth Lake Foot (ELF) - Helen Lake (HEL) - Elizabeth Lake Head (ELH) - Poia Lake (POI) - Return to Many Glacier.

Thank you in advance
PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Route Check and Advice

Post by PeteE »

First Hike Glacier wrote:Hello all,

I have been backcountry backpacking a few times but this will be the first attempt at planning a route and am looking for some advice and a route check for feasibility. The current route sits at:Many Glacier - Elizabeth Lake Foot (ELF) - Helen Lake (HEL) - Elizabeth Lake Head (ELH) - Poia Lake (POI) - Return to Many Glacier.

Thank you in advance
Welcome to the chat!
The Belly River area is a beautiful part of GNP.
You got a pretty good itinerary. Great scenery on that route. What time of year will you be here?
Depending on how many days you'll be here, you might be able to modify it when you arrive---if you want.

You'll need a ride back to Many Glacier when you come down to the road from Poia Lake your last day.
Not a big deal though. Lots of traffic for hitching.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Route Check and Advice

Post by orin »

Great route! I'm assuming you got a reservation in the lottery. There are changes you could try to make but no need unless you want to. On the short day you could dayhike to Dawn Mist falls or even to the ranger station if you had the energy. Cosley would be another possibility. As for the end of the trip, the trailhead is only a mile or so from the hotel so its no big deal even if you walk the road. There is a trail for most of that distance. I wouldn't take the shorter but very steep cutoff trail down to the entrance station.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”