Lake McDonald SUP Camping: advice/recs?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

KatiS
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Lake McDonald SUP Camping: advice/recs?

Post by KatiS »

I was able to get a permit for a night at the Lake McDonald backcountry site and hoping to make a SUP camping trip out of it. (I have my own board, an inflatable, with adequate bungee space--I think, but planning a quick test run on a nearby lake before I head to Glacier--for tying down gear. I've camped and I've SUP'd but not yet SUP-camped.) I've read it can be a good idea to head out early to lessen the chances of encountering chop, and I'm definitely planning to keep a close eye on the weather forecast for both my paddle-in and paddle-out. (If conditions look questionable for paddling, I figure I can always change up and hike in to the site...I just want to avoid if at all possible a situation where I've paddled in and then would need to hike out, since that would be less than fun, even with an iSUP.)

Any other tips, advice, recommendations for spots to put in the board that will allow for a decent paddle but are also realistic/feasible via SUP?
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Lake McDonald SUP Camping: advice/recs?

Post by cdsmith379 »

I don't SUP but I kayak camp all the time in Maine and NH. So if I were to plan a trip, especially on a lake the size of Lake McDonald, I would avoid any large crossings unless you are certain the wind will be low to none. Hug the shore, in case you need to seek land for whatever reason. I would put in at Kelly Camp or Fish Creek Trailheads and paddle along the shore south or north.

Return to “Camping”