Camping Near Polebridge

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pudis
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Camping Near Polebridge

Post by Pudis »

Wasn't sure where to post this question since it covers a couple of topics, but anyway...
We are flying into Kalispell next week and are taking the shuttle to Glacier. We are having to change our plans since at least one of the backcountry permits we have secured aren't usable because of the Reynolds Creek Fire. So we are taking the shuttle to Polebridge and trying to secure a walkup permit for the North Fork area. My question: Is there camping along the river across from the Polebridge ranger station? We are trying to get there early enough to give ourselves a good chance of getting what we want, but don't want to walk what looks like 1.5 miles in the dark from the town to get there. Suggestions?
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Camping Near Polebridge

Post by orin »

It is a bit hard to tell from your description exactly what your plan is but be aware there is no public transportation to Polebridge. Hopefully by "shuttle" you mean something else. Your best hope of getting a walkup is generally considered to be a very early morning visit to the Apgar backcountry permit office. So maybe you can get to Apgar early enough the day before to camp at Apgar.
Pudis

Post by Pudis »

Sorry, I was under the impression that since you can pick up permits there at the Polebridge station, they would also issue them as a walkup so if that's the case, I guess my question doesn't make sense. We are using Flathead/Glacier transportation to get from the airport by the way.
nunatak

Post by nunatak »

Recent conversations at the Apgar backcountry office mentioned that the Polebridge office hours are erratic and it's better to visit the Apgar office instead of hoping to catch someone after reaching Polebridge. The ranger at Polebridge told me there were places I could camp "for free" along the river back at Polebridge if I didn't make it to Kintla campground before it filled. I didn't ask for more details as I planned to reach Kintla anyway, but I assume he meant the Montana policy of public access and camping below the customary high water line of any river. Note, however, that policy doesn't apply on the GNP bank of the Flathead, where they require a backcountry permit. Also be aware there's lots of private land and private campgrounds in the area.
orin

Post by orin »

You can pick up permits that you have already won in the lottery at the Polebridge ranger station. And you can also try for a walkup permit there. But the Apgar office gives you the best chance for the walkup because they house the reservations computer and they open early to accommodate the sometimes fierce competition for those permits. If your goal is to modify a permit you already have then I would call and ask them what the best option would be. By public transportation, I meant a regularly scheduled service like those offered by the NPS or by Xanterra. Those do not go to Polebridge. If you have made private plans that is fine. By the way, I see that the Red Eagles backcountry sites have reopened.
Pudis

Post by Pudis »

Thanks! That's helpful. I think without our own transportation going to Apgar might be the wiser choice. Then see what we get. It'll be great no matter what.

Yes I noticed the Red Eagle campgrounds were reopened as well. We have a 4 night trip reserved that goes from St Mary to Two Medicine so we're still on for that! I think our out and back to Otokomi is out.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

I would try for a walk up at Apgar, the Polebridge office is very touch and go on when someone will actually be on duty.

As far as camping, there are quite a few areas you can go down to the river bank, pitch your tent and camp, but there is a lot of private land in those areas as well, pick up a flathead national forest map and many times the private areas will be marked on the map, to give you and idea of where you will be public or private land.

Return to “Camping”