My drinking club has a hiking problem.

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

My drinking club has a hiking problem.

Post by Jen »

Remember Bruce? He used to hang out with us here? This is kind of his trip report too. He just needed me to tag along and drive him around.

We flew into FCA on 8/31. Me from Chicago (via salt lake city) and Bruce from Madison (via Denver)

We were barely out of Columbia Falls when Bruce spotted a saloon and made a u-turn.

Onward to our rooms in East Glacier! No! Wait!.....
Add another stop at Marias Pass so Bruce could raid the cooler....This is where I took over the driving...

Saloon at Izaak Walton

We did eventually make it to The Whistling Swan.

My room

Bruce always stays in the "fancy" room. #10. It is attached to the motel office. (maybe he has a photo)

We dumped our bags in our rooms and headed for the Empire Bar at Glacier Park Lodge.

And then over to Ramseys Firebrand for a bad dinner, terrible service and more drinking. (see my review in restaurants forum)

Traveling with Bruce is exhausting. Stay tuned for day 2 (i;e more drinking with a cheesehead)
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: My drinking club has a hiking problem.

Post by July Guy »

Sorry I did not see you guys this year!
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
Jen

Post by Jen »

Right back at ya, JG!
poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by poky5mom »

Yeah - can't wait for more! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: What the heck is Bruce drinking?! :shock:
Kim
Jen

Post by Jen »

WINE! (I know!)
derek.larson
Gender?: Male

Post by derek.larson »

Whistling Swan...sleep in the car...Whistling Swan...sleep in the car...Whistling Swan...sleep in the car...Whistling Swan...sleep in the car...Whistling Swan...sleep in the car...ummmmmm, I'll sleep in the car :roll:
Jen

Post by Jen »

I can not say enough good things about Mark Howser and The Whistling Swan/Glacier Park Trading co./Two Medicine Grill/Rock and Roll Bakery!

When people are good to me, I do not forget.

Mark SAVED my honeymoon in 1998.

The rooms are always extremely clean and well-priced. What more do you need?

I will always give Mark my $ over any other lodging in EGP.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Jen and Bruce, you are going to need to work on your beer selection! :roll:
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

paul wrote:Jen and Bruce, you are going to need to work on your beer selection! :roll:
Bruce is as hopeless in the beer selection process as my son in law's father. There's no way to change that. It is a shame though.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

I'm sure you hung out and enjoyed the wine bar at Sperry Chalet, courtesy of Todd and a mule, so that leaves about 2.5 days for hiking.

I liked Whistling Swan when I stayed in no. 3, but wished the shower faucet actually turned off instead of dripping all night. :roll:
There's a nice feeling of being on the edge of Nowhere and off to a Big Unknown Adventure in that part of E. Glacier.
:arrow:
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I like East Glacier a whole lot in general ... lousy beer and dripping faucets included. The people are great, and it's the little town that time forgot.

And as a former GPI employee, I can definitely attest to the pleasures of alternating hiking with drinking. :)
Jen

Post by Jen »

I know East Glacier is off the beaten path as far as hiking in GNP is concerned, but I LOVE this town. If my husband would agree I would live here in a New York Minute! I am constantly scanning for real estate here and Polebridge. (pipe dreams).

Still trying to get him to transfer his skate skillz to Snowboard. (He hates winter).
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

pitamakan wrote:I like East Glacier a whole lot in general ... lousy beer and dripping faucets included. The people are great, and it's the little town that time forgot.

And as a former GPI employee, I can definitely attest to the pleasures of alternating hiking with drinking. :)
I like it! It's like being in a movie. The Last Picture Show, specifically. :D :D :D Quite a thrill, as something is going to come riding over the horizon and start happening any minute.

Jen - I looked into rentals in Sandpoint, one glum night. I could get a whole house, including heat and garage, for less than I pay for a micro-mini-apt in Chicago.
Would you settle for, say, Whitefish or Kalispell? Your talents would be welcome, and likely new ones would bloom.
(Maybe you could spell Kathryn at the pie table. And those Guinness cupcakes seem to be only a fond memory.)
Jen

Post by Jen »

Selkie wrote:
pitamakan wrote:I like East Glacier a whole lot in general ... lousy beer and dripping faucets included. The people are great, and it's the little town that time forgot.

I like it! It's like being in a movie. The Last Picture Show, specifically. :D :D :D Quite a thrill, as something is going to come riding over the horizon and start happening any minute.

Jen - I looked into rentals in Sandpoint, one glum night. I could get a whole house, including heat and garage, for less than I pay for a micro-mini-apt in Chicago.
Would you settle for, say, Whitefish or Kalispell? Your talents would be welcome, and likely new ones would bloom.
(Maybe you could spell Kathryn at the pie table. And those Guinness cupcakes seem to be only a fond memory.)

I DO lOVE Whitefish!!! ;)
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Love the title!

Lots of good stuff and serious adventure to come...so far, so good!

Would I be spoiling if I mentioned that there is a new Sperry Chalet addict in our midst?

I'm hoping to start my report this week-end as I just returned on Sunday...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Return to “Trip Reports”