Carthew-Alderson Hike

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

McNeill78
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Carthew-Alderson Hike

Post by McNeill78 »

How does this compare to Siyeh Pass or Ptarmigan Tunnel? Is it easy to hitch hike in Sept in Waterton?
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Re: Carthew-Alderson Hike

Post by Stmarypete »

It is a great hike, but the last 5 miles down the valley are pretty boring. The first part is spectacular and varied. You may want to just hike to Carthew Summit for the best parts of this hike. Hitching in September could be difficult. The last time we did this hike we used the shuttle from Waterton townsite. It is one of my favorites in the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Haven't done this one yet, but its on my to-do list for the summer. I would guess hitching in september might be iffy. I think tamarack outfitters runs a shuttle down to cameron lake (not sure when the shuttle stops running though).
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

I thought the "down the valley" part was nice too. I really enjoyed the hike and highly recommend it.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Are they done with the road work?

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Carthew-Alderson is longer than Siyeh (about 12 miles, I think, compared to nine for Siyeh Pass) and longer than to Ptarmigan Tunnel and back. Total elevation change is probably comparable to Siyeh Pass but I have not checked that in a guide.

If you start the Carthew-Alserson hike at Cameron Lake the trail starts in heavy forest then comes out at Summit Lake. Then the trails starts a long and fairly steep climb to the high ridge. The views from the ridge are great with views back into the U.S. including Mt. Cleveland. From the ridge the trails starts down steeply and then goes past the three Carthew Lakes. After that the trail drops again to Alderson Lake. Alderson Lake is a deep blue color with rock walls on a couple sides. There is a campground and outhouse at Alderson Lake. After Alderson Lake the trail is basically "a walk in the woods" until the trail comes around the mountain for views of the Waterton Townsite. That last part does not provide many views and I have considered it "boring" sometimes. Other times that last part is a nice relaxing walk.

I have talked to people who have hiked the trail the opposite direction. Starting at Waterton would mean a lot more climbing during the hike than starting at Cameron Lake.
Last edited by MarxMN on Sun May 25, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

Have any Chatters backpacked this one? What's the campsite etc like? Is it likely to fill up the way that backcountry campsites in Glacier usually are?

I've never tried for a BC permit in Waterton and I'm curious...

Any info/tips appreciated!
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Jay w wrote:Are they done with the road work?

Jay
They're supposed to be finishing up the repair work this spring, I think by the end of May. So unless there's a delay, the road should be open normally this summer.

Mark
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

I would suggest backpacking the Twin Lakes trail. It is much more remote and beautiful, especially in the Fall. The Carthew-Alderson trail is really busy, the campsites are down by the lake and used quite a bit. One word of warning--- Blackflies

Return to “Hiking”