packing for early September weather

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

SwampRat
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

How much warm clothes should I bring?

Post by SwampRat »

I'll be hiking and backpacking in Glacier from 9/4 till 9/13. Knowing full well that the weather is highly variable at that place and time, I'd like to get some informed opinions on my tentative plans for cold weather clothing: midweight merino wool base layer; light wicking T-shirt and convertible pants; two fleece pullovers; nylon shell jacket (unlined); cap; gloves.
SwampRat

packing for early September weather

Post by SwampRat »

I'll be hiking and backpacking in Glacier from 9/4 till 9/13. Knowing full well that the weather is highly variable at that place and time, I'd like to get some informed opinions on my tentative plans for cold weather clothing: midweight merino wool base layer; light wicking T-shirt and convertible pants; two fleece pullovers; nylon shell jacket (unlined); cap; gloves.
mikie

Re: How much warm clothes should I bring?

Post by mikie »

Are you day hiking or backpacking? And, where will you be hiking?
Jay w

Re: packing for early September weather

Post by Jay w »

Anytime I go to Glacier, I bring full on winter clothes, and I live in MN. Ok, I skip the pack boots and ski goggles, but I bring a winter shell, heavy sweatshirt (car camping), polypro long underwear, full zip wind pants (although rain pants are about equal), winter hat and some xc ski gloves. That's me, I freeze in the evenings. People laugh at me when it's 40F, I have a beer in a chair, and I have long underwear, jeans, wind pants, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, jacket, hat and gloves....and I'm cold. On the other hand, when I'm hiking, it can be raining and 50F, and I'm fine with shorts and a t-shirt.

I guess it's a bit personal what clothes you need.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

SwampRat wrote:I'll be hiking and backpacking in Glacier from 9/4 till 9/13. Knowing full well that the weather is highly variable at that place and time, I'd like to get some informed opinions on my tentative plans for cold weather clothing: midweight merino wool base layer; light wicking T-shirt and convertible pants; two fleece pullovers; nylon shell jacket (unlined); cap; gloves.
For anything after Labor Day I bring a ski jacket and thermal pants (fleece-lined shell). It can be cold in early morning and late evening.
On a post-Labor Day backpack, all but one person (who had tried to get away with a substantial NF fleece) had warm jackets or down vests, and needed them.
Wool hat.
I might also throw in some modest traction, because it can snow and freeze overnight.
And a swimsuit! :D The lakes will be close to warmest.
(I am a fan of wool, not so much of fleece. My go-to item is a an unlined, washable wool shirt-jacket. That under a shell suffices for a lot of shoulder-season hiking.)
Have fun! :D

Toddnick, who has countless days of hiking in September, can advise when he returns from current Glacier jaunt.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Posting your question only once would be sufficient. No need to post the same quests in two different areas of the forum. I'll merge the two threads so all responses will be in the same place.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Nobody can tell you what clothes to bring.
All anyone can tell you is the likely temperature ranges you may face.
In my opinion...living here on the West side of the park...temps in early September can vary from the low/mid 20s to near 90.
Temps could be lower depending on exactly where you are. Glacier National Park is a big place with quite varied terrain 8)
Snow is always a possibility in September...as is rain.
So there you go.
Bring whatever clothing you need for those conditions.
My only advice is bring clothes you can "layer" for comfort.
You want to dress to avoid both getting overheated while moving, and getting chilled when not.

pocketlint :wink:
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

"midweight merino wool base layer; light wicking T-shirt and convertible pants; two fleece pullovers; nylon shell jacket (unlined); cap; gloves."
No one has mentioned sleeping bags... I'd bring a good down bag rated for -5 Celsius. Worse comes to worse you freeze your butt off around camp, then hop into your toasty bed!

September can be tricky but with the clothes you mentioned, you'd probably only be cold when not moving (like in the mornings or while cooking supper, etc.)... or if there was a cold snap. I'd substitute a light down jacket for one of your fleece pullovers and definitely toss in a toque and mitts or gloves like Jay suggested. Wouldn't add very much to your load at all.
Nylon shell jacket
is a bit unclear... I assume you mean a hard shell (waterproof-breathable) jacket versus a really light windbreaker.
SwampRat

Post by SwampRat »

Thanks to all for your good advice. To answer some of your questions: We hope to backpack to Gunsight, Pitamakan, and Dawson passes, but don't have reservations for any backcountry sites. We'll do some day hiking as well, if our knees hold out. The nylon shell jacket I mentioned is a light windbreaker. I will, of course, carry a full rainsuit at all times.

Based on your comments, I've decided to (1) get a better sleeping bag, (2) bring one more insulating layer in my backpack, (3) start calling my cap a "toque."
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Just another comment. I think part of what makes Glacier unexpectedly cold for me is that I'm acclimated to a warmer climate. Second, when my body shuts down (after a day of hiking), it really shuts down. I'm thinking about trying a backpack this fall (if I can ever get this building project weathered-in), so it'll be interesting trying to pack. (I haven't backpacked in 20 years.) Winter jacket, hand warmers, 15 year Scotch...

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
SwampRat

Post by SwampRat »

Just to close the loop on this thread: Our first trip to GNP (9/5/13 - 9/12/13) was a total blast. We did a 2-night backpack to Glenn's Lake and back, and did day hikes the rest of the time. The weather was a little rainy for the first 3 days, then sunny and mild the rest. A single fleece plus a light windbreaker jacket was enough for the nights and mornings.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

But did you bring a touque? :)

Regardless, glad you had a great trip! September is a particularly wonderful time to be in Glacier.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”