Johnson's Campground - Review

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Johnson's Campground - Review

Post by Jay w »

Yeah, that's it. I'm not sure what ever happened to Rickie Lee Jones, so I looked her up. She has a website (her name) and she's on tour this year.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
ND

Post by ND »

Just camped 5 nights at Johnson's. I have spent many nights there over the years. The site we had was great. I never had any concerns about bears. The campground was quiet and other campers were friendly and respectful of each other. I slept like a baby every night. I have no problems with the showers or bathrooms. I don't expect everything to be perfect. For us Johnson's is centrally located for the hikes we like to do on the east side. It cost about $32 a night for 3 adults. I don't think the price has gone up much in the last few years. As for those who thumb their noses at 'car-camping', all I can say is that it a fits a need for many folks. Economically it allows visitors on a budget to visit the park. $150 for 5 nights instead of $200 plus per night for a room makes a difference. Just because it's 'car-camping' doesn't mean you can't enjoy the outdoors, cook a meal or two, or just kick back for a few hours. I don't think you have to be 20 miles out in the middle of nowhere to have a camping experience.

SO DON'T CAMP AT JOHNSON'S!!!! Sleep illegally in your car in parking lot or off the road someplace. Do more backpacking. Experience a few nights in the historic hotels. When all the park campgrounds are full, I have never been turned away at Johnson's. So don't mess this situation up for me!!! :lol:
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

We are camping there this weekend and are bringing our big tent and gazebo and other comforts to make life pretty dang easy. We car camp, boat camp, backpack, and have a camp trailer, all for different situations and times of year. Johnson's offers a nice alternative to the NPS campgrounds, we usually camp at Rising Sun but this year have a group of former St Mary employees getting together and Johnson's offer what we need. Looking forward to getting back to St Mary and some of those good local desserts!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Just spent 5 days at Johnson's. It was quite nice, no bears, good privacy, and location. The views are limited, there were NO INSECTS, the showers by the camping area were a mess and just too busy with a Boy Scout troup nearby. The main shower is where to go, cleaner, more showers, and no waiting.

Return to “Camping”