Problems with Waterproof Shoes

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

hankinpl
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Problems with Waterproof Shoes

Post by hankinpl »

A few months ago I got a new pair of hiking shoes (North Face Hedgehog III GTX). They are my first Goretex shoes, and so far I'm not very impressed. I wore them on a few longer walks in the city to break them in before their first real test two months ago in Shawnee National Forest (southern Illinois). The problems I'm having are 1) I tend to have pretty sweaty feet and the goretex seems to just keep all of that moisture in resulting in really wet feet 2) the shoes seem to have a few 'holes' in the waterproofing. I stepped in 2" of running water and a few steps later I could feel some moisture between the sole and the footbed and eventually the whole bottom was wet. I've since sent those shoes back to North Face for repairs.

Anyways, I'll be in Glacier for a 6 day, 5 night backpacking trip at the end of August as well as a shorter practice trip in northern Michigan in six weeks. I realize this was only one pair of waterproof shoes, but I was wondering if anyone else has these problems? Searching the internet, it seems like waterproof shoes break down pretty fast and then you just have a water-retaining shoe. Does anyone backpack in Glacier with a non-waterproof boot? Is that asking for trouble?
mikie

Re: Problems with Waterproof Shoes

Post by mikie »

Waterproof boots should never leak. My Scarpa boots are waterproof. I usually test them by putting them in a bucket of water for a week. They should be completely dry. I use my Scarpa's for Winter hiking and backpacking. I have a pair of Keen's that I use in the summer. They too are waterproof. The Keen's are shoes, and not boots.

Find a pair that fit perfectly. Then make sure they are built well enough for the type of hiking you do. Every hike in GNP is different. Some trips don't cross water, where others you have to cross deeper streams.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I actually stopped worrying about waterproof footwear on my summertime hikes years ago, so far with no regrets. Lately, I've been using Vasque trail runners as the primary footwear for my overnight trips, while bringing along a pair of water shoes, as well. (For the last couple seasons, those have been the Vibram toe shoes.) That's been a lightweight and comfortable combination that's worked very well for me on multi-day trips in Glacier and elsewhere in the west.

I'd be hesitant about that approach in some other locations, though, and of course it's not appropriate for winter trips.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Everyone has their favorite boots/shoes, mine are Garmont...

I have two pair of Vetta Hike boots...they are my favorite because of comfort...a size 8 fits me perfectly...no blisters, no worries...

Unfortunately they are not particularly good in terms of being waterproof...I'd say a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10...decent, but not great...I hiked last week-end on mucky trails at Allegany State Park and the feet stayed dry for about 5 miles before starting to soak through...

I bought a more expensive pair of Asolo boots that hold that water much better, but made me uncomfortable after about 8 miles...blisters, etc...I haven't worn them since...

To me comfort is primary and waterproof is secondary...
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

toddnick wrote:
I bought a more expensive pair of Asolo boots that hold that water much better, but made me uncomfortable after about 8 miles...blisters, etc...I haven't worn them since...

To me comfort is primary and waterproof is secondary...
Ugh, sorry about the Asolo experience! Though I've discovered any shoe with a non-leather toe cap (the fad is toe caps of rubber/plastic) does not allow the boot enough stretch in the toebox, so my latest Asolos are consigned to short trips around wintry town only.

For OP, I also am in the market for good trail shoes, mid-support (not the support + weight of a full-blown backpacking boot). The online reviews are helpful in avoiding footwear with problems one doesn't want to deal with. A shoe that gets wet and dries fairly quickly is far preferable to one that takes a long time to drip, drip, drip... Possibly a hiking shoe with a lot of mesh rather than leather would be a 3-season workaround for you? Changing sox midday may also increase comfort level. Summer hiking (of which I do very little) means extra sox for me.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Love my Vasque trail shoes, lightweight, breathable and they dry quickly.
mikie

Post by mikie »

Feet come in many shapes. It is my understanding that there are 16 different common shapes of feet. The difficult part is finding a shoe/boot that fits the shape of your foot. I usually go to a big hiking store, and ask for help from the staff. They often have a good idea of what will work, and what will not. EMS, REI, Campor, etc.

I have wide feet with boxy toes. So, Keen's are excellent for me. Scarpa generally fit narrow feet, but my Scarpa Escape GTX's are designed for wide feet. Asolo are designed for more normal shaped feet. You have to spend the time trying on different shoes/boots until you find the perfect fit. If your feet don't fit into the standard types, then you need to have a custom pair of hiking boots made. Custom boots are expensive and the waiting time is long. Most people go to New Hampshire, and have a pair of Limmers built for them. Most people can find one of the standard shapes.

In the summer I have moved towards using a "Trail Runner" type of shoe. I use a low top hiking shoe. Since Keen's fit me perfectly, that is all I use in the summer. I have found that most Trail Runner type's of shoes are better at conforming to your feet. Being waterproof isn't that important.

In the Winter months, I use a regular hiking boot. The downside is that your feet MUST fit perfectly. Most of them will NOT conform to your foot. This is especially true with boots with the full or partial rubber rand. The rubber rand will NEVER conform to your feet. Not even a tiny bit. Waterproof boots are a requirement in the Winter.

As a general rule, you should always get shoes/boots that are 1/2 to a full size larger then your street shoes. In the summer months your feet will increase about a 1/2 size larger. In the winter months they will shrink about a 1/2 size.

You should also make sure that your toes are never touching the ends of your boot. Toes that touch will get blisters and get quite sore. It's okay for your toes to touch the end of the shoe in your street shoes, but a disaster for your hiking shoes/boots. Likewise, you don't want your heel to lift in the shoe/boot. And, your feet should not slide forward when going downhill.

Then there is the subject of foot maintenance. But, that is a whole thread on it's own.
hankinpl

Post by hankinpl »

I think I'm in the market for something very similar Selkie, and I've been leaning towards the idea of a well-ventilated mid-height boots instead of a waterproof backpacking boots. I just needed some assurance that the idea wasn't crazy! I already have winter boots for here in Chicago, and I think a pair of versatile 3-season boots would be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Mid-height shoes have only one real advantage, they keep out the dirt a little better. Do not rely on them to provide ankle support.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

the only difference is that goretex dries faster than leather.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

I live in the wet 6+ months of the year, either with rain or snow and I grew up in Washington and hunting on the coast, so I have quite a bit of experience with trying to find a pair of water proof boots, and I can honestly say after almost 50 years, I have not found pair of boots that are and will continue to be water proof when constantly exposed to wet conditions, the only thing you can hope for, is keeping the maximum amount of water out of your boots for the maximum amount of time. My best boots have been Danners, but they are not always conducive to comfortable hiking, they are pretty heavy, but they will keep me pretty dry up to about 8 hours of being in the wet. Believe it or not, the only boots I have ever owned that kept me dry for the whole day, is a cheap pair of Bill Jordon's hunting boots in camo, from walmart several years ago, I paid all of about $30 for them, but they are not insulated and they are ugly, but I have never got wet in them. A good quality pair of boots, with good quality wicking socks is what I do most of the time, I often wear wool socks, because they keep my feet warms even when wet.

Plan on stopping every once in a while, taking your boots off, prop them open, take your socks off, to check your feet out and make sure everything it going ok and relax and eat a snack or your lunch, then gear back up and head out for more.
Jen

Post by Jen »

daveparker wrote:
Plan on stopping every once in a while, taking your boots off, prop them open, take your socks off, to check your feet out and make sure everything it going ok and relax and eat a snack or your lunch, then gear back up and head out for more.
Best advice ever!

My lunch break ALWAYS includes boots off and a sock change!
hankinpl

Post by hankinpl »

Thanks for all the feedback! After trying on A LOT of light hiking shoes and trail runners at REI and that I ordered from Zappos, I decided to actually go with the Merrell Moab Ventilators. A lot of the hiking shoes I tried on just seemed to alter my natural gait too much. I'm going to replace the factory-stock insole with something a bit firmer though.

This might be the first time I've ever gone with the least expensive shoe option.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I owned 2 consecutive pairs of the moabs. Never had a single blister. Never lost a single toenail. Now i am wondering why i thought i needed a waterproof boot!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

I have had two pair of the moabs and they are great shoes and dry quickly. Now using some Vasques, not sure if they are any better, but they sure are a bright yellow.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”