Freeze-Dried Foods

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Freeze-Dried Foods

Post by Heff936 »

Thanks Dorf for the photo examples. It all looks tasty. I'll have to give that a try.

Heff
paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by paul »

One of the good things about pre-made meals like Mountain House is that they don't require any cleanup. You just pack out the empty package.
Jen

Post by Jen »

paul wrote:One of the good things about pre-made meals like Mountain House is that they don't require any cleanup. You just pack out the empty package.
That is exactly why I have never done my own dehydrating. I don't like to wash pans in the backcountry. With mountain house you can just lick your spoon clean and call it a day :) I think this year I am going to try the freezer bag cooking though.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I agree with the no-cleaning required approach. You can buy stand-up foil bags like those used for freeze dried food. Those might work well for re-hydrating and eliminate the cleanup issue. :D

Heff
Jen

Post by Jen »

Heff936 wrote: You can buy stand-up foil bags like those used for freeze dried food. Those might work well for re-hydrating and eliminate the cleanup issue. :D

Heff

Great idea Tim!
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I'm definitely a little jealous of those who prepare their own dehydrated meals ... but I admit I've never had the energy to spend time on that kind of pre-trip prep. And knowing me, I'd probably screw something up during the dehydrating process, and not realize it until I was in the wilderness. :) The prepackaged stuff is easier at home and on the trail, and I can calculate calories and such very accurately before leaving.

This post really makes me think of my early backpacking days, before freeze-dried food was so readily available, and we actually had to do our own cooking in the out-of-doors! I kind of miss it, in a way, but I'd never go back to that exclusively ...
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

I don't remember Dorf cleaning any dishes!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

sj in cal wrote:I don't remember Dorf cleaning any dishes!
You didn't notice dorf's long tongue on those trips to the Beartooth?
:arrow:

pocketlint :wink:
dorf

Post by dorf »

sj in cal wrote:I don't remember Dorf cleaning any dishes!
Hell, I don't remember what I ate except for some pasta salad in a ziplock and pizza night. I do have a snippet of video from the 2008 Beartooth trip that could be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfSvnJQYVIM forward to 3:35 for some helpful sanitation information :wink:
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Oh yeah forgot to mention the cost. For two people you could have a whole day of meals for what you spend on one meal of freeze dried. Whatever leftovers you have tonight can be dehydrated and vacuum sealed to use as a meal on the trail this season.
IRG
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I'm a big fan of the Lipton pasta sides (now Knorr I believe). They are pretty tastey and only a buck. The cheesey broccoli rice and the Thai noodles are my favorites. BUT having said that, Costco now sells a case of 10 MH freeze dried meals that only run about 4 bucks each meal. Boil water, eat, throw pouch away, lick spoon, done. I have a case waiting for me this summer. 8)
Buck
Donator
Donator

Post by Buck »

To the original question I live on the Mountain House stuff in Glacier for the convenience and zero mess......never had an issue Ref......maybe some crunchy rice once in awhile :D
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I'm working on a design that I hope will result in a commercial sub $ 1,000 freeze drying system. I'll let you all know how the testing goes. :arrow:

Heff
David R

Post by David R »

I'm a fan of MaryJanesFarm brand. Smaller portions, organic, burnable packets. Tasty but simple. At REI.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”