Driving time

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

GoDucks
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Driving time

Post by GoDucks »

Questions for you experienced Glacier folks: 1) We are camping the first night at Apgar. What time should we leave (in our own vehicle) the campground Sunday morning, July 16 to make it to over GTSR to Sunrift Gorge in hook up with the 8:30 AM Siyeh Pass Ranger Hike (yes, we ralize that GTSRR shuld not be hjurried, but we will be crossing it more than once in our week in the park. 2a)The following Tuesday, Coming from a motel in East Glacier, what time should we be leaving to get to Many G for either of the Iceberg Lake or Grinnel Glacier Ranger hike at 8:30 AM and 2b) Do you recommend coming up 49 or looping over through Browning? Which is to say: Which way is quicker? We will take whichever way is slower on the way south to E.Glacier after our Sunday Hike.
Stevo

Re: Driving time

Post by Stevo »

GoDucks wrote: Do you recommend coming up 49 or looping over through Browning? Which is to say: Which way is quicker? We will take whichever way is slower on the way south to E.Glacier after our Sunday Hike.
I've driven both routes from East Glacier and have found that both require an equal amount of driving time. The supposed short cut by taking Highway 464 north from Browning only adds unnecessary (IMO) mileage. I would plan on leaving at around 7 AM just to give yourself a cushion in time just in case the unexpected happens. If you want scenery, take Hwy. 49 to 89 north.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

Here's what Highway 464 looks like between Browning and St. Mary/Babb. This view is looking west.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ ... 0566PB.jpg
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
flatlander
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by flatlander »

Re Apgar to Sunrift Gorge, be aware that the Park has advised of potential delays of up to 1 hour between 8 - 10 am due to reconstruction of GTTS, so you may want to shoot for 8 am arrival just to play it safe. Absent any delays, I would guess the drive would be close to 1 hour.

That said, you might consider an even earlier depart to since the GTTS and Logan Pass can offer some magical displays in early morning light, and you never want to have to rush thru Glacier.

I would also recommend the MT 49 to US 89 route from E Glacier.

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”