Snow Moon Basin

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Snow Moon Basin

Post by paul »

I attempted to go to snow moon basin on this year's trip. I've been there before and used the low route from the Cracker lake trail. I think it was back in 2014. However, the gully that leads to the stream bed was completely over grown. Actually I had a very hard time locating it in the first place so we didn't use that to get up higher. It seems like the stream bed has changed too. We were probably a few hundred feet below the base of the cliffs when we decided to turn back. It was really surprising that a hike/climb that was so easy 10 years ago has changed so much.

The guys I was with were never there before so I was bummed that things have changed so much.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Re: Snow Moon Basin

Post by MarxMN »

I was in the Snow Moon Basin in 2014 also but have not tried it since. It is surprising that the terrain has changed that much.

Bill
Last edited by MarxMN on Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Paul, Marx,
I would suggest contacting the Glacier Mountaineering Society.
Contact info is under "About."
That route is frequently done during their Hike/Climb week at end of July, so they probably have current beta on best approach.
It's a neat group. They've got something going on most weekends during good weather. Costs very little to join, and you might get some ideas for routes new to you.
Ear Mountain also likely knows how things are with that route.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Yes, I know about GMS. I did several climbs with them years ago. I guess I'm just curious if there were more recent visits to Snow Moon by people from the chat page. I know there's a high route that is probably described in some books and online.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Selkie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:27 pm Paul, Marx,
I would suggest contacting the Glacier Mountaineering Society.
Contact info is under "About."
That route is frequently done during their Hike/Climb week at end of July, so they probably have current beta on best approach.
It's a neat group. They've got something going on most weekends during good weather. Costs very little to join, and you might get some ideas for routes new to you.
Ear Mountain also likely knows how things are with that route.
I have been to Snow Moon and Falling Leaf lakes as well as using that basin as part of a route to climb Allen Mountain. However I have not been up there in several years.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I went up there this summer, but ran out of daylight. I made it through the little "climby" section and up some of the steep switchbacks, but stopped at the nice view of Sherburne before the rocky hike back to the lakes. I was also low on water. I ran into some guys from MG Hotel back there. It's certainly a hump going up that streambed.

Yup, the start is brushy, but the rock pile across the main Cracker Lake trail is a dead giveaway of the start. Get back through some of the brush and you'll find various small trails *through the trees" to the streambed. On the way down, it'll lead you right into the trees before the main trail.

You probably know all that, but you just lacked some conviction. My guess.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Jay w wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:47 pm I went up there this summer, but ran out of daylight. I made it through the little "climby" section and up some of the steep switchbacks, but stopped at the nice view of Sherburne before the rocky hike back to the lakes. I was also low on water. I ran into some guys from MG Hotel back there. It's certainly a hump going up that streambed.

Yup, the start is brushy, but the rock pile across the main Cracker Lake trail is a dead giveaway of the start. Get back through some of the brush and you'll find various small trails *through the trees" to the streambed. On the way down, it'll lead you right into the trees before the main trail.

You probably know all that, but you just lacked some conviction. My guess.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I think knowing about that rock pile in the middle of the trail beforehand would have helped. It's been awhile since I did this route and when we got to the area where you head off the trail there was a lot of walking back and forth looking for the right place to head up the slope. I would have liked to have made more progress but we had a tough backpacking day coming up and decided it wouldn't be worth the punishment we'd take.

Maybe next time up that way I will give it another shot.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”