General site updates

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: General site updates

Post by teapot57 »

No problem. Btw the last update to Hockey Ref’s FAQ was 2013? Yep, I think it’s time!
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by FuzzySideDown »

🍺😁👍
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tara

Post by Tara »

Hi everyone! Thanks to those who reached out! I never saw an email from you, Kyle, sorry! I'll be happy to be back and continue my role - I admittedly have not checked in in a very, very, long time but happy to see this is up and running again. My daughter Rosie now lives in East Glacier and works out there too so I get to spend more time there in all seasons - it is awesome!
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi Tara! Glad to have you back! No worries on the email. I wasn't sure if that was going to make it to you or not, but glad others were able to reach you. That's very cool about your daughter being in East Glacier...

Welcome back!
Thanks!
Cheers!!

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang..... Thought I'd toss out some random site statistics recently....

The site is currently getting re-indexed by Google through the Google Search Console. I have to admit, they take a lot longer to index than I remember. They are currently about 10% done, give or take, from a little over a month ago, but it does seem to already be making a little difference. I have also looked into Bing though they seem to be having some issues with the site for some reason, but hopefully we'll get it re-indexed there as well eventually.

This shows what is indexed vs. what's been crawled yet not yet indexed, but it is growing slowly.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 8.21.09 PM.png

This shows the increase in google search clicks increasing since the re-index started. It's hard to say if it's specifically from the re-indexing or specifically a result of general summer increase, or a mix of both, but it's cool none the less.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 8.21.23 PM.png

This shows the gradual increase in user traffic over the last month. Nothing earth shattering, but it is increasing, so that's cool.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 8.05.56 PM.png

This is less functional, but I thought it was kinda fascinating as to where people are coming from.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 8.09.19 PM.png

On a different note, I believe there is a way to send out a mass email to members. It's not something I plan to do very often, though I'll likely send out a quick note in the coming weeks to the user base as some sort of update on things in an effort to let people know it's a good time to return. Particularly those that have been away a long time or have had trouble registering over the last couple years.

If you know anyone that has had trouble registering or logging in over the last year or two, please have them try again, or let me know. I know we'd love to have them all come back for sure. If there's anything that can be done on this end, please let me know.

Thanks gang!
Cheers!

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

I havent been on the Chatter Site for a while and was just checking in!
It looks good! Looks like things are coming along nicely!
Thanks for all the work, Kyle!

MattB
B2Randolph
Donator
Donator

Post by B2Randolph »

Thank you Kyle and everyone else for working on this wonderful site. All I have read is this conversation so I may be repeating something already posted. But many years ago we had the opportunity to purchase goat t- shirts. Sorry but I don't remember any more.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Thanks B2Randolph! Welcome back!! I think shirts and things is a great idea. We have talked about it a bit recently. I will be looking into that more for sure. Unfortunately I haven’t progressed very far with it yet, although I do think that would be cool and do plan to make progress with that for sure. And no worries on repeating. It helps me gauge interest that way also. 👍

Thanks much and welcome back!!

Cheers!
Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi gang.....

A few updates here.... There's some new menu items up at the top.
Extras : For the moment, it's a separate page containing links to the other menu options. Over time it'll get cleaned up and be a bit more organized as a place for other tools or just other things that need their own home.

Route Planner: This is MattB's Glacier Park Route Planner. Word on the street is he may be working on a new updated version of that.

Trail Status: This is Zozeppelins view into the status of trails.

Backcountry Site Availability: This is Zozeppelins view into the back country site availability.

Regarding Trail Status, and Backcountry Site Availability, those should be getting updated every day now around 9:15am-9:19am Pacific Time and again around 5:15pm-5:19pm Pacific Time. Those times are subject to change if there are preferred times that would be better. Please note they are in a bit of a Beta phase at the moment, so don't bet the farm on it just yet, but if you do see something that doesn't look right, please let Zozeppelin or myself know and we'll do what we can to track down the issue.

Be sure and give Zozeppelin a big thanks for the time he put into those tools. They are coming along quite nicely. Thanks Zepp!

Also, be sure and give MattB a big thanks for his time on his route planner. Thanks Matt!

Thanks everyone!
Cheers!

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks Kyle and Zepp for all the great improvements to the site. I especially appreciated the backcountry site availability page since it was something the NPS site once had but took away from us.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

I haven't logged in for quite some time, but saw the bookmark on my computer and thought, "Wonder what folks are saying?" I'm so happy to see the activity.

I can't believe it has been 16 years since I joined this site! And there are so many others who have been around longer. Hope everyone is doing well.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

My feedback: More bananas!
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey, Welcome back brindledog!

More bananas, definitely noted. 😁👍🍌🍌🍌🍌

:arrow:

Cheers!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Thank you! I'm so happy to see the activity and "old friends."
mattB

Post by mattB »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:30 pm Hi gang.....

A few updates here....

Route Planner: This is MattB's Glacier Park Route Planner. Word on the street is he may be working on a new updated version of that.

Kyle...
"New and Updated', might be a stretch! :-) :-) :D :D
It might be more like, "a few glaring obvious errors were hopefully fixed"! :) :)

If anyone has noticed any incorrect or missing mileages or elevation gain/loss, please let me know and I'll try and make those fixes in the upcoming version!
Or if you have new waypoints that you'd like to see in the planner, I can easily add waypoint, especially if you can give me mileage and elevation gain/loss between other nearby points.

MattB (aka not Flat Matt)
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

MattB (aka not Flat Matt)
Let’s make that clear! lol :D

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”