General site updates

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

General site updates

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi gang.....

I thought I would create a separate thread for this. I recently started working with Debby to transfer this site to a new hosting account as some of you may already know. The goal being to make sure the site continues forward while at the same time not losing the history that has built up here. It has been in the past, and hopefully will continue to be a fantastic resource for all of us here. I'm hoping to use this thread as a place for me to give occasional updates on what's happening regarding functionality updates and such until it's no longer needed as we get back to the way the site was functioning a few years ago and we move forward. Ultimately, this probably should be under Announcements, but first I'll need to figure out how to do that, and then we'll be off to the races. :D

So for the first big update....
Near as I can tell, the site hosting account transfer has now happened which is a great first step. There might be a few little things to work out, but all in all, the site seems to be as stable as it was a week or so ago, so that's great... Eventually, we'll get the domains all transferred as well, but they will all be the same as before, so no changes as to what they are, so that's good.

I will also be creating a "Things that need to be fixed" thread separate from this one. That could be a dangerous thread to create. :lol: but at least if a lot of things do get added to it, they'll all be in one place roughly.... Regarding a timeline as to how quickly things will happen, I can't say. I'll start by saying slowly but steadily, and we'll take it from there. Here's a link to that thread... http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... =1&t=10474

An example of that is my account now looks like it has administrative rights, but I can't quite seem to access some important screens, so that's task #1. heh... getting that to work... :D

Anyway, I'll post more updates here, and please keep an eye out for another thread for posting about things that you may be aware of that might not be working for you or others on the site.

Cheers!
Kyle
🧊🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Re: General site updates coming

Post by paul »

Thanks for taking this on Kyle!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Sure thing Paul.....

A quick update of things here.... Paul asked for HTTPS to be implemented. That should now be in place. Let me know if you have any issues with that.

Thanks!
Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for all of your work and effort on this project!

Lyman and Carlene
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Kyle,

Thanks for your work on this site.

Bill Marx
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:53 am Sure thing Paul.....

A quick update of things here.... Paul asked for HTTPS to be implemented. That should now be in place. Let me know if you have any issues with that.

Thanks!
Cheers!
Kyle...
Thanks, that was fast!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Kyle,
One thing I noticed recently, when I do a post, the browser sort of goes off to a blank page and it looks like it's stuck. It seems to never return from the post. However if I go back to the original topic, I see my post in there. If I retry sending it, I get multiple posts showing up.

So I think there is something funky going on. I'm sure it's happening for anyone but me, though.

thanks,
Paul
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey there Paul....

Ahh ok... Thanks for pointing that out about the blank pages. I feel like I noticed that a couple times too but thought maybe it was just me for some reason.. LOL! Well at least I wasn't hallucinating.. :D

Regarding that, I just realigned the PHP version with the current phpBB version to be correct. As in they weren't correct before. It did seem to resolve a big issue I was having on the admin side and they were somewhat similar issues, so with any luck, that may resolve the blank page thing also. In the coming days/weeks, I'm hoping to do a phpBB version upgrade that will hopefully square up some other oddities.

But yea, in the mean time, if you notice the blank page after a post, give me a shout...

Thanks!
Cheers!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Kyle,

The blank page when posting seems to be better. Thanks
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Fantastic!! Good deal. 👍

Cheers!
Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by tibber »

I don't know how easy it is to add a "LIKE" button of some sort or if others think it's kind of cheesy, but I would like to have that option.

And thx for taking care of all this. I know there are so many of us that are grateful; it's almost like coming home... like when I go to Glacier Park :P .
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey Tibber. Funny you should ask about that. Heh. I was just looking for that option the other day. Lol! I added it to the list to check into, though that might take a bit if nothing quick is found. I will say this though… we aren’t on the latest version of phpBB just yet. I’ll be looking into updating that in the coming days/weeks, and there’s an outside chance it might be part of that. No guarantee, but maybe?

Cheers!
Thanks!
Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.....

The site is now upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. The PHP version has been bumped up as well. It does mean the PHP version is now back to the version that was causing the occasional blank screens, however, I'm hoping that is resolved with the board upgrade. Keep an eye out for any oddities, but so far it seems pretty good.

Thanks gang!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang....

A few more updates.... General emails coming from the site I believe should now be coming from a general Glacier Park Chat email address instead of Dave's personal email, so just be aware of that.

New user registration no longer requires an admin to approve and notify, so tell your friends, now's a great time to join! :D It's currently email verification based now so each user can take care of it themselves. Hopefully that will be a little more efficient going forward. If we run into any issue with that, we can adjust as needed..

Thanks!
Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang....

One more update, and I'll call it a night I think... Direct inline posting of images.... That is turned on now. The hope is it will simplify doing trip reports or any image posting really. For the moment, there's a 1MB max per image and a 5 image limit per post. There's an attachments tab just below the big text box on a new post, but basically you just need to drag and drop the image into the post text box. No need for a 3rd party image hosting and messing with the url's.

Cheers!
Thanks!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”