Brief Trip

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Brief Trip

Post by Stmarypete »

I was in Missoula on business Friday and got done in time to run up to the park for the night, always a great spur of the moment plan. Had wonderful drive up GTTSR to the pass ariving about 8:00 PM and only a few people around and a bunch of Mountain sheep entertaining the crowd. The drive down to St Mary is pretty rough, gravel most of the way to Rising Sun. St Mary was quiet, big Pow Wow going on in Browning and the bars are closed out of respect for the tribe. Johnson's campground was nice as usual, the mosquitos were pretty bad and by report the black flies on the trails were worse. The Park Cafe was not open and I heard they only had four types of pie now. :( The Two Sisters cafe was busy and the food and service were good. The weeping wall is running full blast. Could have stopped and washed the car. Leaving the West Glacier entrance at 10:00 AM yesterday there were three gates open and yet the traffic was backed up for half a mile. Drove back home through Northern Idaho and stopped to fish the St Joe river, gorgeous. I will be back with the whole family in two weeks for a real stay and just need to get all the gear ready.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Brief Trip

Post by Selkie »

Thanks for the report.
The Park estimates that the road conditions from Logan Pass to St Mary add an extra half hour to the trip. Did that seem right to you?
(I ask because I expect to be doing a pre-dawn drive from Fish Creek CG to Many Glacier, and would like to meet others on time.)
Thanks.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Stmarypete »

If you leave early you should avoid the construction delay. Friday evening I just sailed on down from the pass at the usual speed. I don't know what time they start working but I am sure you can find out when the pilot cars are necessary. Even with the pilot car going up on Saturday morning the delay was no more that 15 minutes.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Thanks!

Return to “Trip Reports”