June out and backs

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

smahurin
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

June out and backs

Post by smahurin »

Any thoughts on an overnight out-and-back early-ish june that has a reasonably decent liklihood of being doable? I do realize most bc camps will still be closed and the routes impossible/impassable, and I'll have to be very open minded about where I go.

I think I could likely good into the belly (Elizabeth, cosley, etc) and would likely be the "coolest" experience (if the suspension bridges have been installed at that point in time) of the possible options. But while I love the belly and seeing some of the waterfalls at this time of year would be spectacular, I'm planning on going into the belly river later in the year depending on my permit luck, and my thought is I'd like to see some stuff early in the year that I've A) never been too, B) wouldn't be as high on my list during peak backpacking season (IE mid august if I'm backpacking I'm hoping to be going over stoney indian, or boulder, or gunsight, etc). I'm really just looking for a different experience than I'm used too and considering the limited nature of availability at this point in time.

My first few thoughts are:
1. Harrison lake
2. Lake Isabel
3. Logging Drainage (if the inside NF road is open? Probably not).
4. I'm open to suggestions.

Just trying to kick some ideas around. I've no date set in mind, no specific location, just trying to get some ideas of what might be open and doable in some areas I haven't visited yet.
Marmotman

Re: June out and backs

Post by Marmotman »

We did a Quartz Lake in and out June 18, 19, 2011. The trail near the top between Bowman and Quartz was a little snowy but both lakes were green. It rained in the morning but it was still GREAT to get out.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

I would have first suggested Logging Lake, but as you say, it is dependent on the condition of the Inside NF Road.

If by out-and-back you mean one night in the backcountry, I would question Lake Isabel. I don't know how strong a backpacker you are, but from Walton Ranger Station to Isabel is over 16 miles in. It took me two days, at any rate.

That might leave Harrison Lake. I assume you would take the route from West Glacier, because I think fording the Middle Fork in June might be dicey.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Barring flooding, the inside road will probably be open as far as Logging Creek by early June, but that time of year the Logging trail is likely to be really muddy and buggy. Probably not a lot of fun.

Lake Isabel would be a chore because of the distance, some high-water creek fords, and the fact that the trail crew won't have done any clearing in that area yet. You'd likely have to cross a LOT of deadfall.

Depending on the pace of snowmelt, Upper Quartz is a definite possibility ... that's a great spot. Upper Kintla Lake might be another one in the North Fork area. Or just go to the backcountry site on the north shore of Lake McDonald.

Since you don't really need to worry much about campsite reservations that time of year, you could keep an eye on snowmelt and trail conditions on the east side, and maybe head up to Old Man Lake or up Cut Bank Creek. Red Eagle Lake would be another possibility.

Mark
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Last year I was in the park the first week of June just after Memorial Day and did a 2 night trip from Goat Haunt. I backpacked into Lake Francis the first night. In the morning I dayhiked up to Brown Pass (last half over snow) and then back to Goat Haunt in the afternoon and up to the Kootenai Lakes for the 2nd night. The next morning I made it almost to Stony Indian Lake before turning back due to time constraints with the boat. So either of those destinations would be a possibility if you have a passport. Obviously it would be a good idea to check the snow conditions beforehand. I got my permit at St Mary before heading up and had my choice of campsites.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Red Eagle lake should be open on the East side. Gunsight lake might also be possible.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

smahurin wrote:Any thoughts on an overnight out-and-back early-ish june that has a reasonably decent liklihood of being doable? I do realize most bc camps will still be closed and the routes impossible/impassable, and I'll have to be very open minded about where I go.

1. Harrison lake
2. Lake Isabel

Just trying to kick some ideas around. I've no date set in mind, no specific location, just trying to get some ideas of what might be open and doable in some areas I haven't visited yet.

When I think early June I think easy side, and as high as I can get to avoid bugs. Cobalt, Morning Star, Red Eagle, and Slide Lake all come to mind. Slide would definitely have some snow going over the pass from Lee Ridge.

If the meltoff is late and the bugs don't seem bad, Kintla and Harrison are good options. Harrison would require either a boat to ford the Middle Fork, or a long hike from Headquarters. Crossing Lincoln Creek might be a bit spicy, though it tends to peak and drop earlier than other creeks. If you have a boat to use, Coal Creek is a surprisingly nice hike. The campground and almost all the trail to it has burned recently, and the views are excellent. Seeing St. Nick in spring trim cannot be adequately described. The one ford of Coal Creek could easily be waist deep, but is pretty slow and has a good runout if you get knocked over and take a swim.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

That time of year you gotta love mosquitos or DEET.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

DaveC wrote:
smahurin wrote:Any thoughts on an overnight out-and-back early-ish june that has a reasonably decent liklihood of being doable? I do realize most bc camps will still be closed and the routes impossible/impassable, and I'll have to be very open minded about where I go.

1. Harrison lake
2. Lake Isabel

When I think early June I think easy side, and as high as I can get to avoid bugs. Cobalt, Morning Star, Red Eagle, and Slide Lake all come to mind. Slide would definitely have some snow going over the pass from Lee Ridge.

If the meltoff is late and the bugs don't seem bad, Kintla and Harrison are good options. Harrison would require either a boat to ford the Middle Fork, or a long hike from Headquarters. Crossing Lincoln Creek might be a bit spicy, though it tends to peak and drop earlier than other creeks. If you have a boat to use, Coal Creek is a surprisingly nice hike. The campground and almost all the trail to it has burned recently, and the views are excellent. Seeing St. Nick in spring trim cannot be adequately described. The one ford of Coal Creek could easily be waist deep, but is pretty slow and has a good runout if you get knocked over and take a swim.

Thanks for all the input guys. Ya I wasn't sure how the bugs would be further south on the west side (ala harrison). I didn't mention quartz simply because I figured it'd be impossibly buggy (but maybe I'm wrong) I'll play everything by ear, just looking for some ideas at this point in time.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I'll add a few yeahs and nears.
Possible
Gable Creek, Red Eagle Lake, Atlantic Creek, Lower Park Creek, Harrison Lake*, Logging Lake, Adair, Quartz Lake.

* reaching Harrison Lake requires either going over Snyder Ridge which may have deep snow or fording the Middle Fork or Lincoln Creek which may be too dangerous early in the season.

Some campsites that I think were mentioned in this thread but which usually do not melt out by early June are:
Old Man Lake, Cobalt Lake, Morning Star

The Park Service staff wil post when campsites open. Before a campsite can open the campsite must be inspected for damage, the out house must be serviceable and the bear pole, if one is present, must be erected. That means a train crew will visit the campsite and that usually means the trails to the campsite are passable.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Ear Mountain wrote:I'll add a few yeahs and nears.
Possible
Gable Creek, Red Eagle Lake, Atlantic Creek, Lower Park Creek, Harrison Lake*, Logging Lake, Adair, Quartz Lake.

* reaching Harrison Lake requires either going over Snyder Ridge which may have deep snow or fording the Middle Fork or Lincoln Creek which may be too dangerous early in the season.
You're thinking of Lincoln Lake, via Snyder Ridge? There's a good chance of snow at the upper end of that trail in early June ... and yeah, it's a slog.

I think the Park Service gets the Lincoln Creek trail bridge installed fairly early in the season, generally in May. I like the boundary trail -- it's pretty underrated -- and Harrison Lake is nice, but it would be a fairly long haul.

Mark
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Yeah, misstated the sites. I meant Lincoln Lake. That's why I pointed out the possibility of snow on Snyder Ridge. Sorry.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

pitamakan wrote:I think the Park Service gets the Lincoln Creek trail bridge installed fairly early in the season, generally in May. I like the boundary trail -- it's pretty underrated -- and Harrison Lake is nice, but it would be a fairly long haul.

Mark

Duh, there is a bridge at the lower Lincoln crossing. I've never been there other than in the winter and forgot all about it.

Return to “Hiking”