Hole in the Wall Campsites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ThomasMore
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hole in the Wall Campsites

Post by ThomasMore »

We are thinking about backpacking to Hole in the Wall this summer and staying a night at Hawksbill campsite. Anyone out there know anything about the sites?
Tom
debbyn
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Hole in the Wall Campsites

Post by debbyn »

Hawksbill suffered a blow down several years ago so not much but bushes. There is a creek close by but It is probably my least favorite of all the BC sets I've been to. Try for Lake Francis instead. And of course Hole is awesome.
smahurin
Gender?: Male

Post by smahurin »

Agreed with the above poster. Hole in the wall is phenomenal. But if you're planning for a multi night trip I'd at least try for something besides hawksbill initially. Take hawksbill as a back-up but Francis would definitely be my first choice in that area.
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

Ditto the above. Hawksbill looked pretty bleak when I passed through in early August. Hot and brushy. Not as well maintained or inviting as other more-popular sites. If I'm remembering correctly, the winding trail to the (open-air) latrine was quite narrow and grown up shoulder-height and higher. (Of course, that also means you get some privacy.)

If I had to camp at Hawksbill, I'd plan to set up my tent and then hike to Lake Francis, or to the area nearer Thunderbird Pond to spend most of my hang-out time.

About the only upside I saw to Hawksbill is that, since there are no trees around the tent sites, it might be good for easy, middle-of-the-night stargazing?

Return to “Camping”