Stove for car camping

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

trevbo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Stove for car camping

Post by trevbo »

What should I get for car camping? I usually just go with my backpacking stove, which is fine but I want something more stable since my kid is always running around and being Mr. Grabby Pants and cooking becomes an exercise in vigilance.

Was thinking of one of those classic green 2 burners (running off butane cannisters not liquid gas).
Pocketlint

Re: Stove for car camping

Post by Pocketlint »

I have one of the Coleman 2 burner propane stoves. It uses those 1lb disposable propane cylinders.
Folds up nice and I have the carrying case for mine.
Two burners is nice so you can prepare meals a lil easier.
I'd think for a family, 2 burners would almost be a requirement.
These Coleman 2 burner camp stoves are pretty bombproof...if you just want a stove to do simple cooking.
There are better 2 burner camp stoves out there. Better in the sense, sturdier, more BTU's etc. However they are much more expensive and aren't nearly as compact or portable.....

imo :)

pocketlint :wink:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Since you already have a stove, you might want to consider:

http://www.slatgrills.com/

I bought one, brought it Glacier, but never tried it. The Coleman is so easy and convenient.

Jay
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Thanks Jay, Pete.

The slat grill looks like a good product. That is kind of in line with what I was considering... I'm basically looking for some sort of metal box that I could simply place my backpacking stove inside for stability/protection... maybe use an old portable charcoal hibatchi BBQ base I have at home and weigh it down with a brick or cement and affix everything in place inside with a coathanger.

I have 3 different backpacking stoves so I should give this a try rather than buying yet again another cooking unit (I have a coleman explonent, which is a great and lightweight butane gas unit + a primus multifuel stove that runs off white gas, as well as one of those esbit-type fuel stoves). Hard to mess with the tried and trueness of a coleman 2 burner, though, and it must be nice to have 2 burners as Pete said.

T.
muddog

Post by muddog »

For car camping we use our Jetboil stoves to make coffee in the morning or a quick Mountain House lunch on the trail, and our Coleman 2 burner to cook breakfast on. Also nice to heat a pot of water for doing dishes/washing faces afterwards. Not something I'd lug in my pack, but for the small footprint it takes up in the car, I've yet to leave it behind.
jackim

Post by jackim »

I preferably uses most of portable gas cartridge in car camping guys,is similar to that of many pressurized burner stoves, except the fuel tank or cartridge contains a liquefied gas – typically butane, propane or a mixture of hydrocarbons – that is held under pressure.

Last edited by jackim on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Saw this tonight. Pretty darn cool. But *slightly* to heavy for backpacking ;)

http://www.rei.com/product/846334/bioli ... p_mobi=yes
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Jen wrote:Saw this tonight. Pretty darn cool. But *slightly* to heavy for backpacking ;)

http://www.rei.com/product/846334/bioli ... p_mobi=yes
cool....

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”