Mokowanis or Stoney Indian?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Babyt413
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Mokowanis or Stoney Indian?

Post by Babyt413 »

So, as some of you know already, I am doing a 5 night, 6 day backpacking trip August 30th-September 4th.

Elizabeth Lake Foot
Cosley Lake
Stoney Indian Lake
Fifty Mountain
Granite Park

That is what I applied/put in for. But, I have been told by a couple of people that I should do Mokowanis instead of Stoney Indian. Mainly because of having the option to hike to Margaret Lake from Mokowanis Lake.

My questions are....

Is Mokowanis nicer than Stoney Indian Lake? Also, is the hike to Margaret Lake from Mokowanis hard to find or follow?

From Cosley Lake to Mokowanis is a fairly short distance, correct? So I would get there in plenty of time to do the Margaret Lake hike, correct?

Lastly..would the hike from Mokowanis Lake to Fifty Mountain going to be a brutal day? I am estimating it to be a 12 mile or so day. Thoughts and advice on this?

Please help me out! I need some expert advice on all these questions and some true opinions.

Thank you so very much everyone!! Everyone is always great on here!!! I hope to hear responses soon! :arrow: 8)
Jen

Re: Mokowanis or Stoney Indian?

Post by Jen »

You really can not go wrong with either.

Yes MOK will make for an easy hike to Margaret (GORGEOUS: but I have only seen it from above)

But STO is a lovely site and much closer to FIF.

MOK to FIF will be a LONG ARSE DAY.

You won't be disappointed either way. :arrow:

Sorry this isnt much help :roll:
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

My recommendation: Skip Cosley and do Mokowanis instead.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I pretty much agree with both Jen and HR. As campsites go both Mok and Stoney are very nice with an edge to Stoney. Given your interest in doing both Bear Mountain lookout and Margaret, I would leave Elizabeth early for Cosley, stash the pack on the bear pole and do the lookout. Back at Cosley, have lunch on the beach and continue on to your camp at Mok. Except for the lookout, this is a pretty level day. In the morning head up to Margaret. The main issue here is a willow choked stretch between camp and the base of the big waterfall. If you find the trail through this it is easy. If you get off into the brush you can spend time and energy thrashing around. After you get back to Mok, head for Stoney Lake. It won't be that far but the climb to the pass is fabulous and you will want to take some time to enjoy it. I wouldn't want to do Mok to Fifty in a day. It is long, involves 2 big climbs and is too nice to rush through.

Finally, there is a good chance you might get assigned to Glens Lake or Mok junction rather than your first choice.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I did MOK to Fifty. I will NEVER do that again. I was crawling into Fifty at the end of the day. MOK was fantastic however.....
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

We did MOJ to FIF with my dad back in 1974. He arrived in camp about 10pm, but he was a 2 pack a day smoker. He was still telling the story 30 years later, thankfully thru rose colored glasses. If you're 14 and motivated, it's not so bad.

My recommendation is call the BC permit office, have them round-file your application (will they do that?), and submit another with MOK, STO, and FIF. That way when you get to FIF (in my top 2 site) you'll have enough energy to do the Sue Lake Overlook.

Return to “Camping”