Dispersed Camping

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Dispersed Camping

Post by zozeppelin »

Anyone have any experience with dispersed camping? I’m thinking about asking for next week, but was curious for some insight:

How strict is the Nyack zone enforced? I currently have COB-ISA-PAR-COA-BEA-OLD.

I am looking to consolidate ISA-BEA into two days instead of three. Ideally I think I’d stop half way around Muir creek on Fielding Trail, but that isn’t technically yet in the Nyack.

Also thinking similar around Cut Bank Pass junction as Old Man is closed and I’ll have to take Pitamakan-Dawson around - which I planned on doing anyways from Old Man but going from Beaver Woman is going to be a stretch to No Name (if it is available).

Lastly, how easy is it to get the dispersed permits? Do they give you an inquisition or rubber stamp?

Appreciate any insight, experience or recommendations (including other stopping points).
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Re: Dispersed Camping

Post by FuzzySideDown »

I’m munching popcorn 🍿 on this one. Curious about the dispersed site permit process as well. Good luck with the closure Zo. Have a good time!👍

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I don’t have much experience with requesting undesignated camps so can’t help much there. But if I had to guess I would think getting a permit for a remote valley bottom camp around Muir Creek would be a lot more likely than getting one near heavily used environmentally sensitive Cut Bank Pass. Ear Mountain would be the best person to ask. Another option would be to keep PAR but continue past COA to half way to to BEA. Then the next day continue past BEA to the Cut Bank Pass junction. Both those camps would be in the undesignated zone. Of course you would be trading an established valley bottom camp and a scenic camp at a lake for a couple of unestablished valley bottom camps. I haven’t hiked that trail so don’t have any idea how that might pan out. It would make a Cut Bank Pass junction to NoName day a little easier.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks Orin! You’re on it - I’m wanting to preserve the lakes if possible (COB, ISA, BEA).

As a clarification, the cut bank pass thought would be at the Nyack trail intersection, not the pass itself, which would save a couple miles each way to Upper Nyack for an established camp- which from what I understand is one of the least used/maintained trails in the park. Plan would be straight out from there to car (then evening flight). Hopefully Oldman opens up, but not optimistic as it has been closed since I started watching a week or so ago.

I’ve assumed ISA-COA is easier than PAR-BEA in terms of distance, maintenance and fords.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I haven't done any undesignated camping in Glacier in a long while. The process has most likely changed in recent years. In any case I suspect that it would be easier to get an undesignated site in the Nyack / Coal Creek Camping Zone. The problem will come from actually finding a decent place to camp that meets the requirements posted by GNP. I copied those and provide them below.

Note especially the part about locating the campsite "a minimum of 1/2 mile and out of sight and sound of any trail corridor..."
That's a tough one if you're just planning an hiking the trails.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Nyack / Coal Creek Camping Zone
This area offers greater opportunities for solitude along with greater challenges in the form of at-large or undesignated camping. An Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) approved food storage device is required for all at-large camping. You must show your food storage device to the ranger issuing your undesignated permit before the permit will be issued. In addition to at-large camping, designated campgrounds are also available in the Nyack/Coal Creek area. Undesignated camping is only available on a walk-up basis the day before or day of a trip start date.

Undesignated Camping Regulations
  • Party size is limited to a maximum of six (6) campers (May 1 to October 31).
  • Camping is limited to a maximum of two (2) nights at any one (1) campsite
  • Wood fires are prohibited. Use of self-contained cookstoves only.
  • Campsites must be located a minimum of 100 feet from lakes, streams, and rivers
  • Campsites must be located a minimum of 1/2 mile and out of sight and sound of any trail corridor, designated campground, patrol cabin, fire lookout, roadway, developed area, or other camping party.
  • All food, cookware, and garbage must be stored in an Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) approved bear resistant food container, and secured at least 100 feet from your campsite at all times, except when eating
  • Stock are not permitted in undesignated campsites
  • Utilize a “cat hole” to deposit human waste in organic soil, at least 200 feet from water, or use a “Wag bag”. Pack out toilet paper and other toilet waste products including feminine hygiene products. Urinate on rocks, gravel, or snow to minimize vegetation damage and destructive digging caused by salt seeking animals.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks Ralph!

It turns out there are two sets of rules: one for Nyack area and one for everywhere else. I took some pictures of the two papers and I’ll post that. Essentially the Nyack rules are reasonable for ‘on trail’ dispersed camping (50 yds) and non-Nyack (1/2 mile) are reasonable for ‘mountaineering’ type trips.

Unfortunately for me, tracking 1/2 mile up Muir Creek hoping for a good spot sounded worse than just continuing onto Coal Creek. On the other end, of course No Name was full 5 days out and old man was closed, but I was able to get a dispersed permit for the cut bank pass spur area. Staring at the topo/areal it looks like there is something feasible around where it turns the corner to the pass / creek bed intersection. Backcountry rangers at Apgar and Two medicine didn’t have any first hand experience.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Any way you look at it, you have at least a couple of long days ahead of you. Hope it all works out. I'll be interested in hearing how it went.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Here are the dispersed camping rules for Nyack/Coal Creek and elsewhere.
227597F5-2AFF-4C70-90E9-C1FAF62E2A21.jpeg
227597F5-2AFF-4C70-90E9-C1FAF62E2A21.jpeg (164.64 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
05FCDFF1-3FCB-4A42-99EC-2D61D95F9C42.jpeg
05FCDFF1-3FCB-4A42-99EC-2D61D95F9C42.jpeg (190.82 KiB) Viewed 2129 times

Return to “Backcountry Permits”