MOJ Camp closed

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

MOJ Camp closed

Post by paul »

The backcountry status page shows Mokawannis Junction camp as closed. And I'm wondering if it was because of a problem bear.

We encountered a problem black bear at GLH camp. It kept circling the camp and checking all the sites. At one point it was coming into the camp while I was walking out in the opposite direction. I stopped and then had to backup because it didn't stop coming toward me. From then on I carried my bear spray everywhere I went in that camp.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Jay w

Re: MOJ Camp closed

Post by Jay w »

Earlier this year, it was a juvenile bear that was doing "property damage." (My term.) The bear was coming in and destroying tents. They put up some "decoy" tent and cameras, but no more destruction.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Yeah, the last week of June I was unable to get a permit for GLH (even though I had a reservation and GLH was not officially closed) for two nights because of the tent squishing bear Jay brings up. I would guess it is probably the same animal. Hopefully it will go somewhere else but all it takes is a minor slipup by a camper to get it coming back.
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

According to a text message the park sent out on Monday 8/21, the closure in fact is due to bear frequenting.

I agree with Orin, hopefully the bear moves on and it doesn't escalate to a bad outcome.
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

paul wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:32 am The backcountry status page shows Mokawannis Junction camp as closed. And I'm wondering if it was because of a problem bear.

We encountered a problem black bear at GLH camp. It kept circling the camp and checking all the sites. At one point it was coming into the camp while I was walking out in the opposite direction. I stopped and then had to backup because it didn't stop coming toward me. From then on I carried my bear spray everywhere I went in that camp.
Paul,

Thanks for this report...

I have an itinerary that will take us through this area on September 6th. We are to be in Mokawannis Lake vs. Mokawannis Juncition or Glenns Lake Head but it's good to know that there has been some problems in the vicinity.

Best regards,

Scott
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Was it a cinnamon black bear visiting your camp, Paul? The ranger that warned us about the Mokowanis area bear described that one as such back in July.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

No, it was a black colored black bear. I remember it having shining black fur because I got such close look at it :shock: I think it might be a different bear from the early summer incidents. I heard from a guy I was with that he checked with rangers and our bear had broke into a tent that same week. I think the bear is working a circuit of the camps in that area GLH, MOK and MOL.

It really ticks me off that some people disregard the rules for food storage and prep. It makes it dangerous for everybody. I noticed a facebook post from Glacier NP and it looked like someone was cooking in a backcountry campsite (not the food prep area).

Just checking out the North Cascades NP site and it looks like the have a lot of bear incidents in the backcountry as well. Again, due to people not following the rules.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

sbosecker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:22 pm
paul wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:32 am The backcountry status page shows Mokawannis Junction camp as closed. And I'm wondering if it was because of a problem bear.

Paul,

Thanks for this report...

I have an itinerary that will take us through this area on September 6th. We are to be in Mokawannis Lake vs. Mokawannis Juncition or Glenns Lake Head but it's good to know that there has been some problems in the vicinity.

Best regards,

Scott
Just keep an eye out for this bear. By the way, there are tons of berries along the trail this year. Especially, Thimble berries and Service berries.
orin

Post by orin »

A good berry year helps with the bear problems. In late summer bears eat a lot to prepare for winter hibernation. When there are plenty of natural foods they are less troublesome around campsites.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”