General site updates

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: General site updates coming

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi gang.... a quick update of a bit of a work in progress.... I'll be working on a new area of the site outside of the forum framework for things that are somewhat standalone things. Examples being MattB's route planner, and Zozeppelin's view into the trail status data. The idea being so that these things can have a dedicated place that wont slide down the forum and get lost, or take up crowded space at the top with more and more pinned posts. (Cleaning up some of the older existing pinned posts will also be an upcoming project as well. Just thinking out loud a bit there)

Eventually there will be menu's to take you there and back and the look of this area will likely change considerably, but for the moment, the link is as follows.... There's not much there yet....

https://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/web

Regarding Zozeppelin's view into the trail status data, I chatted with him the other day about setting up a relatively automated version of that to try and keep it as current as possible with minimal manual work. Possibly have historical data as well if there's any value in that. Anyway, not to get the cart before the horse, but that'll be getting worked on in some form. Zozeppelin has a number of other cool ideas for park tools as well that would be nice to add as well. If anyone else has any neat ideas for things that might fit in this area, give me a shout....

Thanks!
Cheers!!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
MISSY
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: General site updates

Post by MISSY »

Thanks for all the forward thinking ideas and work you are doing!
Such a valuable resource you are reviving!
Missy
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Kyle - the tables - they're killing me! I thought bbcode tables would be supported but it looks like ASCII!?!?
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey Karl.... I see what you mean... I have to admit, with the update to the BBCodes, when I saw tables, I figured they'd be legit tables... My apologies... I removed the ascii tables option... that's just silly... heh... I added in some custom options for you for table, tr, and td.

Below is an example of kinda how to use them.... They have no styling options currently beyond setting the border size of the table to 0 or 1 or whatever, so just be aware of that.

A little context and general disclaimer on tables... I can somewhat appreciate their reluctance to supply tables as a BBCode option as they do introduce a large number of potential html failure points if not used correctly, particularly in large tables. They can also slow page rendering in larges tables, and have a tendency to hinder an html pages ability to be responsive, or resize and reshape based on browser window size, which is where div's excel, however tables are so darn convenient for something like this... Give these a shot, and see how they work for you or if you have any issues with them let me know... I can attempt to add some style tweaks to them for you if you find you need something, so just let me know....

Testing out tables....
Row 1 box 1 box 2
Row 2 box 1 box 2
Row 1 box 1 box 2
Row 2 box 1 box 2
Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 12.00.45 PM.png
Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks Kyle,
It seems to be working, but some of the tags I was expecting are not functional. Specifically, setting column width [td:width], header cell [th], and background color [tr bgcolor=#hexcode].

Ironically, the ascii tables rendered nicely (headers showed up with blue - wasn't changeable from what I could tell).
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey there Zo.... You bet.....Good deal.... Yea, there isn't currently any extra tags beyond the ones I'm adding in and I typically am not including any style features unless you describe the ones you need, so if you see something you need, just let me know. Hopefully we wont have to recreate the whole of html though. :D That'll be a tall order :D I did just modify td to use a width now, and modified tr to use a bgcolor hexcode, and I added th to also use a width as well. See how that works for you.... Regarding the ascii or pipe tables, would you like those back on the post page if they are working ok for you?

Thanks!
Cheers!
Header
zzzzzzz
XXXXXXXX
Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 11.27.57 AM.png
🧊🐥🐥
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks Kyle - call that good enough ! The headers seemed to not be compatible with the background color, and the cells seemed to not be compatible with the width?
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Sure thing Zo. Sounds good. 👍

Just for clarity, for the TH, I only added the width option and not a bgcolor option. The TR bbcode currently is the only one with the bgcolor option. Regarding the width compatibility, each column will generally defer to the widest width set in its column even when a narrower width is included in that column to make sure everything fits. Here is an example of that. But I believe the width is indeed compatible unless I misunderstood, which is quite possible.
width 100 width 200 width 300
set to 10, defaulting to 100 set to 20, defaulting to 200 set to 30, defaulting to 300
IMG_1301.jpeg
🧊🐥🐥
Nawlins
Donator
Donator

Post by Nawlins »

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people thanking you for keeping this site running!
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.... Did some updating to some ranks. Additions really. So if you had donated prior to May of this year, my understanding is you should have a yellow star with rank of Donator. That is still the case. If you donated for the first time after May of this year after the updates started happening, you'll get a blue star and rank of 2.0 Donator. If you donated before and now, you get both the yellow and blue star and rank of 2.1 Donator. The rank of Special Contributor (which i'm not sure if it was ever used before) also got updated with a bulldozer icon to recognize MattB and Zozeppelin for their contributions with content that involves some custom code for the site. We'll likely see more of that in the Extra's section once that come online.

There are probably other's out there worthy of other recognition that I'm missing... My apologies for that if so. We'll make some new ranks again as we go, but i wanted to be sure and get these out and updated right away.

Thanks everybody for whatever way you may contribute. Whether it's through donating, submitting some cool tools, or just plain chatting it up, it's cool to see and very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Not sure that it really matters, but not all pre-changeover donators received their yellow stars.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

teapot57 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm Not sure that it really matters, but not all pre-changeover donators received their yellow stars.
Ahhh shoot.... I was afraid of something like that happening..... Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have a way of knowing who the donators were prior to the changeover. If there's anyone out there that feels they were a previous donator that never got their yellow star, please let me know here or in the private message. I would like to make that right!

Thanks everyone!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang.

Would anyone be in contact with Tara and/or Kathy by chance? I reached out to them a couple weeks ago, I think, via chat site email to see how they were doing, give them a bit of an update, and see if they were interested in returning to the site as moderators. I’d like to give them the opportunity to continue being moderators if they’d like to, as they have been around here for quite some time. If by chance we hear they are no longer interested (which is ok) or they are unable to be reached, we will likely do some shuffling around of moderators in the interest of moving forward. I don’t believe there’s been a lot of moderator related actions needed as of late, aside from a spam post to be removed not too long ago, but the need for moderators could increase a bit over time as more people return hopefully. If anyone is interested in being a moderator and please let me know.

Also, if you or anyone you know would be interested in reviewing all or sections of Hockey Ref’s FAQ, please let me know. It may still all be valid, but it seems like it’s been a while since an update, it might be time. Rest assured, it will continue as Hockey Ref’s FAQ, it just may need some updates.

Thanks Gang!
Cheers!

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

I can reach out to Tara.