Backpack suggestions?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Backpack suggestions?

Post by liketohike »

Shopping for a new backpack for backpacking (3-6 nights)- actually husband really needs a new one as there is stuff peeling off on the inside of his old backpack. Curious what packs people use nowadays- any recommendations? Thank you
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Re: Backpack suggestions?

Post by zozeppelin »

Gear research - exciting!

I usually start here to get oriented: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... ackpacking

It seems things are trending towards minimalist of late, but I’m a big advocate or the arcteyrx backpacks. I have an alpha 75 (model in between original bora and new bora). I guided my dad to a bora 50 and that does well. The hip support and suspension (articulation) along with full length zippers are really nice. It looks like the bora 50 was dropped (65 is available depending on your needs). I’ve also historically seen a lot of recommendations for Osprey (Atmos and Aethrer). Big Agnes has also gotten in the game, and while I think their tents are amazing feats of engineering, I’m also suspect of new product lines- but who knows?
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I use a Gregory Paragon 65 pack. I think they have a 50 liter version which would be better for 3 or 4 days. I used mine for a 7 night trip in Glacier last year and a 6 night trip in the winds two years ago. I really like it, it's built tough but much lighter than traditional packs.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I replaced my backpack last spring. it weighed 7 pounds and could carry a ton. I replaced it with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 pack that weighs under 2 pounds. Then I replaced a lot of other gear with lighter smaller alternatives. My total pack weight for a 5-6 night trip decreased from 35-40 pounds to 28-29 pounds. I discovered that backpacking is way more fun when I don't have to carry so much weight on my back.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by liketohike »

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. We will check them out.
A couple of the brands have not been on my radar, so good to know.

Makes me think about upgrading too...I have an Osprey Aether 70 which has been a good backpack; while it's >10 years old, it's still in good shape, but on the heavier side. Part of me feels a little bad spending money on a new backpack if not quite necessary, but going lighter is definitely becoming more appealing :)
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I replaced it with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 pack that weighs under 2 pounds.
I also have this pack, and I love it. I really like being able to keep my tent in the long side pocket. The stretchy mesh pocket on the front of the pack holds an amazing amount of stuff and gives easy access to things that you might need during the day without opening your entire pack.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

There’s certainly a lot of logic of ultralight as it is the gift that keeps on giving. Lighter / smaller stuff -> lighter / smaller pack -> lighter / more comfortable shoes/boots. What you lose is features and creature comforts, but likely also lose items/objects you didn’t need/use.

Here is the ultralight version of the outdoor gear lab link:
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... t-backpack
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

teapot57 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:07 pm
I replaced it with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 pack that weighs under 2 pounds.
I also have this pack, and I love it. I really like being able to keep my tent in the long side pocket. The stretchy mesh pocket on the front of the pack holds an amazing amount of stuff and gives easy access to things that you might need during the day without opening your entire pack.
That's exactly where I keep my lightweight tent which happens to be a Gossamer Gear The Two. The tent uses trekking poles for setup to save weight. One can also buy an optional pole set for The Two which I did when I purchased the tent. I often camp two nights in one spot doing a day hike where I wanted to use my trekking poles and didn't want to leave the tent collapsed in camp. Be advised though that the pole set Gossamer Gear sold me was not the actual advertised length. The pole length should ideally be 125 cm. On three or four trips using the optional pole set I was frustrated by not being able to set up the tent nice an taut. Yet I had no problem getting the tent tight with my trekking poles.

I finally measured the pole set and discovered the Gossamer Gear poles were 2 inches short. Adding the length of the three segments yielded the correct length but someone apparently forgot to take into account that the segments lose length when they are slipped together. After discussing this with Gossamer Gear they offered to refund the cost of the poles. But I still wanted an optional pole set so began looking for alternatives. I found Tent Pole Technologies (https://tentpoletechnologies.com) located in the Pacific Northwest. They made me a custom pole set with just the options I wanted at a very reasonable price.

By the Way: Tent Pole Technologies will repair fiberglass and aluminum poles as well as make pole sets to your specifications. If you need this type of service give them a look.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I finally measured the pole set and discovered the Gossamer Gear poles were 2 inches short.
Interesting! We have similar gear. I have a Gossamer Gear The One. I also bought a pole from Gossamer Gear to use for the same reason as you, but I just hike with one pole while leaving the tent set up (love layover days). I have never noticed that the pole was not the correct length, so I’ll have to dig mine out and measure it. I have noticed, though, that I have a hard time getting the head of the tent to lie smooth after staking. It always seems to have one slanted wrinkle that I can’t correct through adjusting the stakes. Maybe the shorter pole length is the reason why!

Thanks for your explanation.
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by liketohike »

paul wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:36 am I use a Gregory Paragon 65 pack. I think they have a 50 liter version which would be better for 3 or 4 days. I used mine for a 7 night trip in Glacier last year and a 6 night trip in the winds two years ago. I really like it, it's built tough but much lighter than traditional packs.
Paul, do you think it's fair to assume the fit would be similar to Gregory Baltoro? Kyle liked Baltoro when at a store recently, unfortunately they didn't have Paragon to try on.
Blanka
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

liketohike wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:25 pm
paul wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:36 am I use a Gregory Paragon 65 pack. I think they have a 50 liter version which would be better for 3 or 4 days. I used mine for a 7 night trip in Glacier last year and a 6 night trip in the winds two years ago. I really like it, it's built tough but much lighter than traditional packs.
Paul, do you think it's fair to assume the fit would be similar to Gregory Baltoro? Kyle liked Baltoro when at a store recently, unfortunately they didn't have Paragon to try on.
Blanka
Hi Blanka,

The fit might be similar but I never tried the Baltoro. The only Gregory packs that I tried were Paragon 50 and 65.

Paul
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by liketohike »

Thanks Paul.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang... Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions on the pack ideas to liketohike... I did like the Baltoro for sure when i had a chance to try that one on in the store, but we ended up going with the Gregory Paragon 68 for me. Thanks Paul. I think I'm going to like that it's close to 2 pounds lighter than my old pack. Really looking forward to giving it a go in the park this fall!

Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Yeah the weight made a huge difference for me when I first used it. It pretty much is as sturdy as my old pack but 2 lbs less in weight. I hope you enjoy it.

Paul

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”