Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sperry Chalet, Granite Park, 2023

Post by Selkie »

Reservations open January 9, 2023.
Lots of nice workshops at Granite Park Chalet.
http://www.graniteparkchalet.com/workshops.php
Jeff Kuhn is leading the Geology of Granite Park workshop.
The leader of Geology of Ahern Pass Area is not listed.
:arrow:
ptguard
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Sperry Chalet, Granite Park, 2023

Post by ptguard »

the good news, i logged in right at 8 MST on two different computers & got my request in. the bad news, there are 1108 requests ahead of mine. crazy.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I did the same thing but you managed to get in 700 requests ahead of me.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

867 in front of me. Hoping for a Granite Geology date.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Good luck to all those hoping for views with their rooms!
:arrow:

(Sperry is now up to 3580 in line. Popular place!)
orin

Post by orin »

Well, surprisingly, in spite of being 1800 th in line, I already have a confirmed reservation. It probably helped that I asked for the first two nights that Granite is open. With a little luck I won't need snowshoes to get there. Good luck to everyone else.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

orin wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:58 pm Well, surprisingly, in spite of being 1800 th in line, I already have a confirmed reservation. It probably helped that I asked for the first two nights that Granite is open. With a little luck I won't need snowshoes to get there. Good luck to everyone else.
Hope you have a great adventure!
Sue Z
ptguard
Donator
Donator

Post by ptguard »

i was shocked as well. got our date, july 10th. we've stayed at sperry numerous times & hiked in about every way possible, so really looking forward to spending the night at granite park. debating our approach to gpc this trip & have done it as an enter at logan, out at the loop, as well as in at logan & up/over swiftcurrent back to the hotel parking lot. if we can work the logistics out with the shuttles we may try that again. if not, we'll try to get to logan pass parking lot early & just do an out/back (no issues with parking overnight is there?). still want to hike up to swiftcurrent pass & take in the views that day.

we got mgh for the 9th, sperry the 10th, & back at mgh for the 11th. we've been coming for 20 years & usually try to hike ourselves to death over about a week. at our age (mid 60's) & since we've done almost every hike we ever wanted to do, we'll probably just make this a leisurely trip & just enjoy the beauty one more time. never know when your last trip might be i guess.
orin

Post by orin »

Congrats on the reservation. My favorite route is Logan to Granite to Many Glacier. But this year I'm going early and it is quite likely that GTTSR and the Highline won't be open yet. So I will probably need to do an out and back from the Loop. Which is fine with me as I've done all the routes before. With a little luck Swiftcurrent Pass might be passable in which case I would do an out and back from Many.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

For years I swore that I never ever wanted to hike up the Loop. But on our 2014 stay at Granite Park Chalet in early July, the Highline was not open so we hiked up the Loop. It involved numerous breaks along the way but I was surprised that it was not as bad as I feared. Of course I suppose it helped that our kids carried the heavier packs on the hike and Carlene and I traveled light.

Lyman
ptguard
Donator
Donator

Post by ptguard »

i hope i haven't boxed us in with our dates (july 10th) as far as gttsr & available routes. since we are at mgh we really need for the road to be open to logan pass. if it's still not open i'm betting the hike up swiftcurrent pass to granite park won't be doable either. if the loop is our only available route we would have to drive all the way from mgh around hwy 2 & approach from the west. i'm guessing that would be a good 3 hour drive to the loop trailhead.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

I think that generally Swiftcurrent Pass is open before the Highline. On our 2014 trip, the Highline as I mentioned, was not open but we met a number of hikers who had hiked up over Swiftcurrent Pass from Many Glacier, including two or three whom we met at Swiftcurrent Lookout during our hike there. I am sure some others have more experience with this than I have so corrections would be welcome.
orin

Post by orin »

I did an out and back to gpc from Many one year before the Highline was open. I no longer remember the date or what kind of a snow year it was but it is possible. There was some snow in the pass but it was above the steep switchbacks and not dangerous. Time will tell whether I can do that in late June this year but I am not counting on it.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Time will tell whether I can do that in late June this year but I am not counting on it.
There is a lot more winter to be had, but for now Snotel is showing that Flattop Mountain is at 80% of average. So you never know about late June! It’s possible but too soon to tell.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

llholmes1948 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:08 pm I think that generally Swiftcurrent Pass is open before the Highline. On our 2014 trip, the Highline as I mentioned, was not open but we met a number of hikers who had hiked up over Swiftcurrent Pass from Many Glacier, including two or three whom we met at Swiftcurrent Lookout during our hike there. I am sure some others have more experience with this than I have so corrections would be welcome.
I agree, Swiftcurrent Pass should be passable before the Highline.

In 2022 (highish snow year), I hiked the Highline the first full day it was open (July 22), and the next day did Swiftcurrent Pass up to the Lookout (July 23). There was still snow on the Highline, and some obvious spots where the trail crew had cut out the trail. There was essentially no snow up to Swiftcurrent Pass (one non-dangerous patch near the pass), which made me think it had been passable for a while.

Return to “Lodging”