Goat Haunt 2022

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Goat Haunt 2022

Post by sbosecker »

Looks like the Glacier National Park Website's Wilderness Camping Page was updated on March 7th regarding the status of Goat Haunt in 2020:

U.S.A./Canada International Border Crossing at Goat Haunt
It remains uncertain if the USA/Canada international border at Goat Haunt will remain closed in 2022. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. To verify border status between the USA/Canada international border seperating Waterton Townsite CA, and Goat Haunt USA, contact CBP at (202) 325-8000. If CBP has not decided to open this border crossing by the time you are submitting an advance reservation for a wilderness permit, do not choose an itinerary that begins or ends at Goat Haunt or Waterton Townsite. Regardless of international border status in 2022, Goat haunt Shelters will remain closed in 2022. Hikers will still be able to hike through the Goat Haunt developed area to other wilderness campgrounds.

I am curious why the Goat Haunt Shelters will remain closed in 2022. What is about the shelters that keeps them closed when other "normal" sites are open? I'm probably missing something obvious but...

Scott
DawsonPass62
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Goat Haunt 2022

Post by DawsonPass62 »

In the past few years, the park has not been able to find a water treatment person to man Goat Haunt. I'm guessing that this issue plus maybe some other things may keep Goat Haunt closed again this summer. For the shelters, there is no pit toilet as you use the Visitor Center's facilities.
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Goat Haunt 2022

Post by sbosecker »

DawsonPass62 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:42 pm In the past few years, the park has not been able to find a water treatment person to man Goat Haunt. I'm guessing that this issue plus maybe some other things may keep Goat Haunt closed again this summer. For the shelters, there is no pit toilet as you use the Visitor Center's facilities.
DawsonPass62,

No pit toilet at the shelters makes sense if they STILL haven't filled the water treatment position after 3 years.

In 2019, at Hole in the Wall, I spoke with a ranger about the water treatment issue. My recollection of that conversation is that they had a person for Goat Haunt but they shifted them to St Mary to cover that area. My recollection is that that person would have much preferred to have been at Goat Haunt as that was a more convenient location for them. However COVID border issues may be the issue as, if I remember correctly, the person who was the water treatment person at Goat Haunt was a Canadian resident.

Best regards,

Scott

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”