Beartooth Pass

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Beartooth Pass

Post by Jay w »

A number of years ago, I went to the Beartooth Pass area over Labor Day. It was cold and rainy. Ugh, but I think it's hard to top this forecast.

Labor Day
Rain showers before noon, then snow showers. Temperature falling to around 19 by 5pm. North wind 18 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 4 inches.
Tonight
Snow showers, mainly before 3am. Low around 10. North wind 15 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 8 inches.
Tuesday
A chance of snow showers before 9am, then a slight chance of snow showers after noon. Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 24. North wind 11 to 14 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Rain followed by 10F sounds like ice to me. Either way, it's going to be a real bitch on a motorcycle.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Deb1741
Gender?: Female

Re: Beartooth Pass

Post by Deb1741 »

Beartooth Pass closed at 5:20 pm MST tonight.

"US-212 between 12 miles So of Red Lodge to WY Lower gate at Long Lake Beartooth Pass closed starting September 07,2020 at 05:20PM Beartooth Pass is completely closed due to snow, ice, and high winds causing blowing and drifting. This includes from the Lower Gate 12 miles So. Of Red Lodge to the stateline, then the stateline down the Wy side to Long Lake at the bottom of the Wyoming side. Road conditions are very icy, drifting, snow covered and poor visibility. The pass will be checked daily to see when it can reopen and travelers will be advised when that is”

I drove over Beartooth Pass Sunday morning on a day trip from Billings into the park. It was pretty warm on top of the pass (60 degrees), as well as in the park (75-85 degrees depending on where I was). It was 102 here in Billings on Saturday and today it got up to 43. The forecast for tonight's low in Billings is 34 degrees.

Never a dull moment for weather in Montana!

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Thanks for the info. Not surprising given that the road would be really difficult driving in an appropriate vehicle.

That Labor Day trip I was talking about....when I drove home, there was ice on the road. I stopped to take some pictures and the car slid to a stop. As I
was driving down to Red Lodge (no ice), a pack of motorcycles was heading up.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

A few years ago I was up there hiking in mid August and it was snowing. So I guess you have to be prepared for any type of weather even in summer.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Return to “Weather”