wi-fi and cell phone reception?

A place to talk about Glacier in general

Moderators: Jen, Tara, Kathy

wi-fi and cell phone reception?

Postby cevans » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:25 am

Does Glacier offer any Wi-Fi services for laptop connections anywhere? How is the cell phone reception around campgrounds?
Thanks for the replys.
If you can conquer your fear, you can accomplish most anything.
cevans
Donator
Donator

Re: wi-fi and cell phone reception?

Postby Hockey Ref » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 am

There is no wi-fi at any of the park facilities. Cell phone reception within the park is extremely spotty. There are a few places where you might get a weak signal, but overall I would not count on being able to use a cell phone. There are pay phones at most facilities, however, and you can use a calling card with them.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Hockey Ref
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Postby MarxMN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 am

There is Wi-Fi at the St. Mary KOA office.
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby Bruce » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:33 am

You can buy internet time at the Park Cafe store (not the restaurant) in St. Mary and at the Glacier Park Trading Post in East Glacier. I'm not sure about the west side.

As far as cell coverage, on the east side I can get it in the Babb and St. Mary area. Again, not sure about the west side.
Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak....
Bruce
Donator
Donator

Postby poky5mom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 am

I was pleasantly surprised last summer how good my cell coverage was - we have verizon - no coverage in the Many Glacier area but around st. Marys we always had service. I do think I remember seeing people in the lodge at St marys with their laptop - I dont know if they had wifi or their own wifi cards. We were at the ranger station at St. Marys & I pulled my phone out - a guy next to me said that is pretty useless here- just then it rang! :shock:
Kim
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Postby cevans » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks for the replys,
If you can conquer your fear, you can accomplish most anything.
cevans
Donator
Donator

Postby Marmotman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:22 am

My wife called me from Sperry Chalet once. She heard from the staff that if you lean WAY over the railing on the upper deck you could get one bar. :shock:
Marmotman

Postby brindledog » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I have gotten cell coverage in Apgar and West Glacier on west side, and in Babb and St. Mary on east side. Don't know about WiFi.
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby Pocketlint » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:46 pm

I live in Whitefish and have Verizon. Can't say about other companies.

You get away from towns or major travel corridores...like US93, some of US2, (and not even then in some places)etc.....

don't count on your cell phone working.

I can drive 10 mins from my place in downtown WF and lose cell coverage.

Could be my older phone a 4 year old LG flip phone...but I would say coverage in the park is "spotty" for me. Places in and around West Glacier my phone will work, or sometimes not....inconsistent. I tried mine one day just after Haystack on the Highline....and it worked....for one call. I've heard some say if you get up high enough(in the park) to see a cell tower on one side or the other,,,,your phone might work.

I would never count on a cell phone working anywhere in the backcountry, especially at lower elevations, maybe mountain tops. I dunno. Never been on one in the park.

pocketlint
Pocketlint

Postby Jen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:25 pm

I made and received calls from the tops of Mt. Clements and Mt. Rising Wolf!(Sprint) I am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is wi-fi in the common areas at the Lodge at St. Mary.
Jen
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby distressbark » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Wi-Fi is definitely available at the St. Mary Lodge, and as of last year, the connection was unprotected as far as a password and whatnot. Verizon seems to be the only reliable provider on the east side of the park. Works great in Babb and St. Mary, but the nearest reception to the Many Glacier campground is on top of Altyn Peak or Swiftcurrent Mountain!
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
distressbark

Postby Jen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 pm

distressbark wrote:Wi-Fi is definitely available at the St. Mary Lodge, and as of last year, the connection was unprotected as far as a password and whatnot. Verizon seems to be the only reliable provider on the east side of the park. Works great in Babb and St. Mary, but the nearest reception to the Many Glacier campground is on top of Altyn Peak or Swiftcurrent Mountain!

Thanks for reminding me! Received a call up on Swiftcurrent in 2008! :) (Sprint aka The Devil)
Jen
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby daveparker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Heck I don't even have cell coverage here at the house!

:roll:
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby ND Sol » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:05 am

I had coverage all throughout the backcountry last year. Oh, wait, that was a satellite phone.

Even it was spotty as in some places such as Mokowanis Lake with high mountains right around you. You had to wait for a satellite to come overhead, and then you would only have it for about five minutes. It was the first time I carried one. My wife wanted me to carry it in case of trouble, but I think I was the one who liked it more since I was not anxious towards the end of a trip of not knowing if everything at home was okay.

And it came in very handy when we had to redo part of our itinerary. We called the permit office from Stoney Indian Lake. The ranger asked a couple of times in disbelief where we were calling from. They said it was the first time for a permit change call from the backcountry.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Return to General Glacier Discussion